September 22, 2022
1. The Mets set the modern record for hit by pitch
One hundred and six, and we still have two weeks left.
2. The daily Aaron Judge watch update
No home runs, but he doubled on the first pitch leading off the bottom of the first inning last night, then another double later, a walk — and so even on his non-homer days he’s just about unstoppable.
And he’s sitting pretty in the Triple Crown run:
3. Gleyber Torres hit two home runs in one inning
4. And the Yankees essentially wrapped up the AL East
The Blue Jays lost in extras last night in Philadelphia, and the Yankees won a blowout over the Pirates — and so that historic second-half collapse in their season never quite went all the way.
5. Joey Votto became a local Cincinnati fan for a day
Here he was this morning telling the whole story:
6. The clutch home run of the day: Mike Brosseau
The Brewers are (just barely) keeping their playoff hopes alive.
7. And the Phillies keep their Wild Card lead with a walk-off win
The losing streak is over, and the lead for the last Wild Card spot still sits at 2.5 games.
8. Mets sideline reporter Steve Gelbs won the sausage race
And he went and conquered the slide, too. Sort of.
9. ESPN has started switching over on broadcasts for Aaron Judge’s at-bats
And here was the Maris family at last night’s game — you wonder if they’ll attend every game, even if it takes Judge another week.
10. The Rockies are calling up their #2 prospect
11. The Czech Republic qualifies for the 2023 WBC
12. And lastly, Oneil meets O’Neill