September 16, 2022
1. We now have the best first-pitch of the year
A perfect strike, and it makes you wonder — shouldn’t Minnesota (and Toronto) get one designated hockey-style relief pitcher every game?
2. Well, then again this was very cool too
More highlights from Roberto Clemente Day:
3. The Padres are slipping
They’re 4–6 in their last ten games after losing in a shutout to Arizona yesterday, Juan Soto has been mediocre since the big trade, and even with the debut of a third Wild Card spot this year, they might miss the postseason entirely.
4. The series to watch this weekend
Yankees vs. Brewers:
Aaron Judge looks for #58 and the Brewers fight for the last Wild Card spot
Braves vs. Phillies
Atlanta sits just one game behind the Mets in the NL East, and the Phillies don’t quite have their Wild Card spot wrapped up yet
Twins vs. Guardians
Minnesota has a four-game deficit to make up in the division, they’re coming off a sweep of the Royals, and they play five games over the next four days
Dodgers vs. Giants
Nothing much left to play for, but still a classic rivalry
5. 2023 World Baseball Classic qualifiers are live right now on Youtube
Great Britain vs. France:
South Africa vs. Spain:
6. Carlos Carrasco was dominant on the mound last night
7. Oneil Cruz mega-flung his bat into the crowd at Citi Field
Great pitching is dangerous.
8. Rest in peace, John Stearns
A four-time All Star with the Mets in the ’70s and early ‘80s.
9. Sandy Alderson will be stepping down as Mets president
It sounds like he was always meant to be a temporary steward in the early transition time of the Steve Cohen era, and will stay with the organization.
10. The current leaders in the AL and NL MVP races
From voting on MLB.com:
11. Injury (and recovery) news from around the league
12. And lastly, there’s a new super drink in baseball
Available to the general public, too?