November 2, 2021
1. Okay, here it is — Game 6 of the World Series
Come on, Atlanta. A nation of baseball hearts is rooting for you.
2. Here’s the Braves lineup for tonight
Eddie Rosario leading off, then Soler, Freeman, Riley.
And with Ozzie Albies moved down to the seventh spot, after struggling in the last four games:
3. And the pitching matchup: Max Fried vs. Luis Garcia (on short rest)
Max Fried takes the mound for the Braves, and he’ll need to be heroic tonight.
A feat accomplished much more easily if he fixes a pitch-tipping problem that may have cost him, in his last two starts.
And for moral support, two of his high school buddies (and fellow major-leaguers) will be in attendance — Lucas Giolito and Jack Flaherty:
4. The roof will be open at Minute Maid Park
Not sure what that’ll mean for the game (the Astros won Game 2 with the roof open), but it’s a very rare occurrence in Houston — and just feels much more right than being inside a dome.
5. A good piece from Tyler Kepner today on the high usage of relievers in this postseason
And how Max Fried hopes to break the trend, tonight.
6. If you get bored during commercial breaks, here’s PTI from this afternoon on ESPN (including talk of the World Series)
7. Elsewhere in baseball, Magic Johnson handed out turkeys outside of Tropicana Field
8. Luis Robert outfitted his car with “Naruto” graphics
A one-million dollar car, that is. Lamborghini.
9. Transactions and news from around the league
The Mets, for yet another week, struggle to fill their GM and manager vacancies, and the situation is getting a bit desperate:
The D’Backs hired former Rangers skipper, Jeff Bannister, as their new bench coach.
MLB has started launching official NFTs, a medium which still (this newsletter would argue) will go down as the tulip mania of the 21st Century:
10. And lastly: Dear Braves, we’re all counting on you