May 26, 2022
1. The Phillies might win the Worst Play of the Year Award
There’s been a giant, fantastic reel of lowlights around the league this year, but — this one is tough.
And from that moment onward, the Braves didn’t look back:
2. Rest in peace to Ray Liotta
Shoeless Joe Jackson in Field of Dreams, and he played it with that wonder and wisdom in his eyes that sticks with you long after the movie ends, long after you’ve seen it many times, even.
3. The defensive plays of the day: Jeff McNeil and Kolten Wong
4. A good listen today: Joey Votto on The Dan Patrick Show
His walk-up song is “Jolene” by Dolly Parton:
“There’s something about that, it just feels sexy!”
5. David Ross went berserk on the umpire in Cincinnati
Baseball remains one of the few places in the world that provides a healthy way to let that kind of pure anger out — even if it’s the umpires that end up always taking the brunt of it.
And David Ross, well, he definitely took advantage of that.
6. The Dodgers were shut out for the first time this year
A bad night that puts into perspective how great the team is, yet again.
7. Pitchers might be figuring out Vladdy Guerrero Jr.
He’s too good of a hitter for that to last very long, but still worth noting the inner workings of his current slump. A nice deep-dive article here from MLB.com:
8. Clay Holmes has been utterly dominant this year
0.38 ERA | 4–0
And a 1.7 WAR as a relief pitcher in May is wild.
The Yankees won again last night, shutting out the Orioles 2–0 at home — and they keep their cushion in the division:
9. An update on the Angel Stadium situation
From the Orange County Register:
10. The quote of the day: Andrew Chafin
“He was swinging at everything but the rosin bag.”
11. The new-look Mariners are in last place
After a 90-win season last year, trading for two of the best players in baseball, and still the team with the longest postseason appearance drought continues to find ways to underachieve.
“Mariner” is now becoming a verb:
12. And lastly, this is how you relax at a ballgame