1. Joely Rodriguez is the best baseball meme of 2022
If you missed it the other day, he perched himself very cozy-like on a chair along the rocks in the Coors Field batters eye, was asked to leave his spot by security — and now, the unsung Mets relief pitcher has been launched into the world of the photoshop gag.
Here’s the original:
2. The Giants walked off the Mets in a 13–12 thriller
Brandon Crawford delivered the winner, and Joc Pederson had a career night — three home runs and he tied the game twice in the last two innings.
And he had help from a certain lefty hitter familiar to the Bay Area:
3. William Contreras delivered a special walk-off win last night
Ninth inning, the Braves and Phillies tied at five runs apiece, and it was a very special night for the Contreras family — the first time they’d been there to see him play.
4. The defensive play of the night: Byron Buxton
One of the best highlights of the whole season.
5. And it protected a brilliant day on the mound for Sonny Gray
6. Tom Brady stepped onto the baseball diamond yesterday
Every division’s last-place team should offer him a one-day contract and let him go up to the plate just once — would be awesome for baseball.
7. Various news and bits from around the league
8. The Yankees are the first team to 30 wins
With a lead of 4.5 games in the AL East.
And they got there with the help of a walk-off winning hit on a sentimental night for Jose Trevino (who had three hits, too):
9. The quirk home run of the night: Matt Olson hits the foul pole
That very rare, very best kind of home run.
10. Wait — this is the quirk home run of the night
Kevin Kiermaier. An awful blunder in center field. And an inside-the-park HR.
11. Japan is helping grow baseball in Nigeria
From the article:
12. And lastly — Rest in peace, Joe Pignatano