June 21, 2022
1. A look at the early voting results for the All-Star Game
2. The highlight of the day: A squirrel on the field
Slightly concerning for baseball that the biggest viral social media moments happen to be entirely non-baseball-related — when cute animals run around the field to our delight.
3. The actual baseball highlight of the night
The just-called-up Oneil Cruz with a rocket throw across the diamond.
4. The Yankees won their 50th game of the year last night
One of the best starts to a season we’ve ever seen.
4. And Gerrit Cole took a no-hitter into the eighth inning
Meanwhile the Rays continue to fall apart, lifeless at the plate the past two weeks, just two wins in their last ten games, falling down to fourth place in the AL East after last night — and now coming down with the injury bug.
5. Bligh Madris is MLB’s first player of Palauan descent
Map for reference:
6. Joc Pederson, wearing pearls, got his World Series ring
And a hearty welcome back from the crowd in Atlanta.
7. And the Braves walked off the Giants in the ninth
8. Buck Showalter wants a utility man spot in the All-Star Game
Sort of an odd idea but a cool idea.
9. Robot umpires are debuting at Triple-A games
10. Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz made a Fenway Park appearance
11. The historic scoreless streak is over, for Clay Holmes
12. And lastly, Tropicana Field has had some errors lately
Then a bit of a loophole here — can your ballpark be scored with an error if it’s missing its E?