June 14, 2022
1. The Braves might never lose again
That’s twelve wins in a row, the longest streak in baseball this year — and they get series against the lowly Nationals and Cubs coming up.
2. There were tornado warnings at Wrigley Field last night
That could double as the new home run celebration noise.
Even still, they were able to play a full game after the storm passed — and the Padres are now tied with the Dodgers for the NL West lead.
3. The defensive play of the day: Diego Castillo
4. “Nasty Nestor” should become a real video game
Based on this little animation from the Yankees, it has to happen.
5. The deep home run of the night: Jose Abreu
He’s been a bit cold to start the year, but last night he went yard twice — with the second one going well over the already-deep center field fence in Detroit.
6. The Phillies stay hot with a walk-off win
They went on a wild win streak last week just to get back over .500, and so far they’re managing not to slip back into mediocrity.
7. A former MLB player won a year’s supply of beer in Japan
News headlines that make you smile.
8. Sandy Alcantara is quietly having a brilliant year
When you play for the Marlins, people seem to miss what goes on down there — but the guy has been absolutely stellar.
9. The stat of the day: Guerrero family synchronicity
10. The schedule of today’s games
One already in the books this afternoon, and some great ones tonight:
Rays vs. Yankees
Brewers vs. Mets
Angels vs. Dodgers
11. The error of the day: Yu Chang
Baseball is hard. But this? This should never happen.
12. And lastly, the College World Series starts this week
These eight teams are heading to Omaha: