2. There were tornado warnings at Wrigley Field last night
That could double as the new home run celebration noise.
Even still, they were able to play a full game after the storm passed — and the Padres are now tied with the Dodgers for the NL West lead.
3. The defensive play of the day: Diego Castillo
4. “Nasty Nestor” should become a real video game
Based on this little animation from the Yankees, it has to happen.
5. The deep home run of the night: Jose Abreu
He’s been a bit cold to start the year, but last night he went yard twice — with the second one going well over the already-deep center field fence in Detroit.
6. The Phillies stay hot with a walk-off win
They went on a wild win streak last week just to get back over .500, and so far they’re managing not to slip back into mediocrity.
7. A former MLB player won a year’s supply of beer in Japan
News headlines that make you smile.
8. Sandy Alcantara is quietly having a brilliant year
When you play for the Marlins, people seem to miss what goes on down there — but the guy has been absolutely stellar.
9. The stat of the day: Guerrero family synchronicity
10. The schedule of today’s games
One already in the books this afternoon, and some great ones tonight:
Rays vs. Yankees
Brewers vs. Mets
Angels vs. Dodgers
11. The error of the day: Yu Chang
Baseball is hard. But this? This should never happen.
12. And lastly, the College World Series starts this week
These eight teams are heading to Omaha: