July 14, 2022
1. Ozzie Guillen challenges reporter Jon Heyman to a fight
They say the home run chase of ’98 brought baseball back to full mainstream attention — and we might need this to do the same.
For context, first there was this tweet (after Guillen’s rant about Tony La Russa on the White Sox postgame show):
And then yesterday, the response from Ozzie Guillen:
2. Today’s afternoon listen: Dave Roberts on The Dan Patrick Show
Asked about the Freddie Freeman’s emotional return to Atlanta:
“Overwhelming. Exhausting. Very fun.”
3. Shohei Ohtani continues to be completely amazing
He won another game on the mound last night (in dominant fashion), hit a two-run triple for the lead — and his recent stretch of games has been among the best in his career.
And the stat of the day, as Ohtani joins a very elite club:
4. The Baltimore Orioles are above .500
Might need to have some crab cakes this weekend to honor a baseball miracle — for the first time since 2017, the Orioles have a winning record (and their longest win streak since 1999).
5. And the Mariners just won ten in a row, too
A season that was supposed to be a big step up, but started with big-time underachieving, has now completely turned around.
Sometimes a brawl can make all the difference.
6. Ever seen an umpire throw a shoe?
From the Lancaster Barnstormers game last night, things got wild after a game-ending (and incorrect) out call at first base.
7. The Cubs have been sued by the U.S. attorney in Chicago
8. The Dodgers had a huge comeback win last night in St. Louis
Down 6–0 in the seventh, they rallied for three straight innings to get the win
9. The home run of the day: Jose Miranda
A walk-off for the Twins, and they keep a 4.5-game lead in the AL Central.
10. News and bits from around the league
11. Chelsea FC takes a tour of Dodger Stadium
Some very ugly baseball swings halfway through this video.
12. And lastly, always show the fans your work