January 13, 2022
1. Highlights from today’s meeting between MLB and the players union
I’m probably not the only one who’s bored by this entire thing, but in terms of baseball news it fits the bill of needing to be included. Some highlights, from what happened in the discussions today:
2. The quote of the day: Shohei Ohtani
“I personally want baseball to be the most popular sport in the United States.”
3. The stat of the day: Jon Lester’s perfect consistency
This seems completely fabricated, but it’s not. Unreal!
4. Some more discussion on Jon Lester’s retirement
Including the amusing part where one of MLB’s only tweets in the last three weeks was this, as they can’t tweet about active players during the lockout (and thus have no material), but they can tweet about former players. And so, immediately upon retiring, Jon Lester gets featured in just one of three tweets they’ve put out in the new year.
And a question was going around sports media circles:
Is Jon Lester a Hall of Famer?
Here were Wilbon and Kornheiser on PTI yesterday:
5. The highlight of the day: Ronald Acuña Jr. taking batting practice
Baseball needs him back on the field for 2022.
6. The basement of the year
New category here, folks.
7. An Old Timers Day will be happening at Citi Field
It seems like just about every team used to host them back in the day (before my time), and now they’re hardly mentioned — but now, thankfully, the Mets are bringing it back for 2022.
8. Speaking of Old Timers Days, here’s a retro highlight
A home run at seventy-five years old.
9. From TikTok: Playing baseball with a homeless man
10. And lastly, today’s vintage baseball photos