August 6, 2022
1. The marquee game of the weekend is tonight
Mets vs. Braves. Max Scherzer vs. Max Fried.
And it’s a let’s-play-two kind of day.
2. The Dodgers won big in their first meeting with the new-look Padres
It was 4–0 in the first inning, 8–0 by the third — and business as usual for the team with the best record in baseball.
3. This might be the best cool-camera-angle shot of the year
4. There was a fireworks mishap at the “Trash Pandas” game
For the unfamiliar (including myself):
They’re the Double-A affiliate of the Angels, their home ballpark is near Huntsville in northern Alabama, and here’s their mascot:
5. A veritable slew of well-known players have just gotten cut
6. There’s a new banner honoring Vin Scully at Dodger Stadium
And 50,000 fans shouting in unison:
“It’s time for Dodger baseball!”
7. Highlights from Matt Carpenter’s return to St. Louis
8. Lou Whitaker’s #1 will be retired by the Tigers tonight
9. Fernando Tatis Jr. starts his rehab assignment today
10. And lastly, Felix Bautista is filthy
After the trade deadline, the Orioles have a newly promoted closer.
They traded away some of their top talent this week, it’s been many years since they’ve been competitive — and yet, take a look at the standings: