April 6, 2022
1. Tomorrow is Opening Day
Get your Cracker Jack, get your peanuts. Baseball is back.
And with inclement weather on the east coast, tomorrow’s first-schedule game (Red Sox vs. Yankees) has been postponed until Friday:
And so, the first game of the year will be at lovely, chilly Wrigley Field.
2. The Braves will be wearing gold-highlighted uniforms
The color of world champions.
3. And they’re selling a burger for $151
Eggs. Foie gras. Lobster tail. Truffle aioli.
4. Jose Ramirez signed a big extension with the Indi — Guardians
And in one fell swoop, their measly payroll just about doubled.
5. Two good reads from around baseball media
First, from Tyler Kepner (New York Times) — on the guy who got the final out for the 2016 Cubs, Mike Montgomery:
Still Going, Even as the Glory Fades
On Baseball | 2022 M.L.B. Season Preview Mike Montgomery once threw a "golden pitch" in a World Series, but at 32 he is…
And from The Athletic, a piece on Theo Epstein’s current role:
6. The highlight of the day: Bryce Harper hits two HRs
He’s at eight now in spring training, after the final exhibition game this afternoon.
7. There’s a Don Mattingly documentary on MLB Network
Assuming they’ll be re-running it throughout this month:
8. Yasiel Puig is back making highlights from South Korea
9. The stat of the day: Clayton Kershaw
10. When you get traded teams suddenly, the glove lags behind
Yankees uniform. Mets leather.
11. It was “Toupee Tuesday” on the Padres broadcast yesterday
The absolute two best bald guys in the business.
12. And lastly, the newspaper graphic of the year (so far)
From The New York Post, earlier this week:
Happy Opening Day, everyone!