April 20, 2021
1. That “famous” home-run catching guy Zack Hample took a tumble
If you need a laugh today, here’s your laugh:
43 years old and still traveling the country to snag baseballs — at some point, the hobby has to end. Hang up the cleats, Zack. Your body is giving out on you.
PS: If you need another laugh, he… didn’t get the ball.
2. Albert Pujols stole third base
Two years younger than Zack Hample, and Albert has still got it:
3. Quote of the day, Blake Snell: “Bauer, he be diggin’ in that mound a lot”
When it comes to mound divots, Bauer agreed to disagree:
4. The Nick Castellanos suspension gets upheld
“#FreeNick,” the masses are saying. “#JailManfred,” ringing out from every rooftop, every window. This baseball injustice must not stand!
The suspension was, if you missed it, for this:
5. The Red Sox blew out the White Sox on Patriots’ Day
The classic 11:10am ET start, for the holiday tradition. Lunch break baseball. And the Red Sox had six runs before noon:
6. Later in that game, the great Yermin Mercedes pitched
Got out of the inning with only one earned run on his record, and even induced a double play — the man is a sensation:
Oh, and Danny Mendick also pitched (White Sox infielder):
7. There was an actual goat at the Oakland Coliseum
Looks like it had a ticket of its own, a free afternoon to spend at the game — you know, just normal goat stuff.
Don’t make the same mistake the Cubs made in 1945, A’s employees. I’m warning you:
8. Vin Scully finally got his 2020 ring
Not that it was his first, lest we forget — he was a Dodgers broadcaster for six World Series teams, over the decades. And now he has number seven:
9. Error of the day: Carlos Santana
Early dark horse candidate for error of the year, even. The spazzy throw after the dropped catch really makes it:
10. Great catch of the day: Evan White
The Mariners are 11–6 so far this year. It’s just April, but — they look good.
11. Understatement of the day — Brian Cashman
I think everybody would reckon that, right now, the Steinbrenner family is feeling a bit more than just “disappointed”.
And where are those calzones?
12. Ronald Acuña Jr. injury update — he’ll be back soon
He’s just day to day, said the good news the Braves got back. Won’t be out for long, and avoids a stint on the IL:
13. If you missed it on Sunday Night Baseball — here’s the Freddie Freeman and Anthony Rizzo clip
And indeed, Freeman’s real first name is Frederick:
If you’ve enjoyed this newsletter, send me a DM on Twitter! I’ll be doing them all year, to package the best highlights and stories from around the league — and to make baseball easier and quicker to follow. I’ll likely start an email list soon, or a Patreon, and would appreciate any and all feedback and support 🙏