2. Jacob deGrom is out with an injury to start the season
More bad news, for the best pitcher in baseball.
Mets fans are losing it:
3. Major trade news: AJ Pollock for Craig Kimbrel
A surprising piece of news this late in the spring training calendar, after the transaction frenzy died down — and a straight swap of two significant players, between two contending teams:
4. Happy April Fool’s Day aka Sidd Finch Day
He (the guy who posed for the photos, Joe Berton) was my woodshop teacher in middle school, in Oak Park, Illinois. Not kidding!
5. The highlight of the day: Julio Rodriguez with an inside-the-park home run
The #1-rated prospect in baseball on some rankings, and last night he gave Mariners fans their most exciting moment of spring training:
6. The anti-highlight of the day: Mets in the outfield
Same inning, these two plays. About two minutes apart.
7. Shohei Ohtani pitched yesterday and JJ Watt came to watch
8. Meet Joey Votto the TikTok star
He’s about a week into his social media career, passing with flying colors (and a lot of time on his hands).
9. The cheapskate team moment of the year
If you ever wondered why the Indians picked a new name that shares the very same last five letters — here’s parsimony personified:
10. Will Smith is getting (jokingly) booed at games
And the fallout from the Oscars continues, for the Dodgers catcher:
11. A fantastic office label change at Giants camp
“ANALYTICS” to, simply, “NERDS”.
12. And lastly, Randy Johnson on The Dan Patrick Show
He calls his 25,000-square-foot mansion in Arizona “Area 51”, and invited the whole show to conduct their broadcast from the grotto as his compound, during next year’s Super Bowl week.
The full interview here, from this morning: