April 1, 2021
1. Baseball is back, shirtless fans are back
2. And so is the wonderful, never-ending heckling of the Houston Astros
3. Miguel Cabrera, on his 18th career Opening Day, hits a glorious home run in the snow
And either in excitement or snow-blindness, he slid in to second on his way around the bases.
4. Highlight of the Day: Bellinger, Turner and comedy of errors
A two-run homer — turned into an RBI single and an out.
5. Quote of the day: “You stupid idiot! You’re a fair-weather idiot!”
Bally sports just took over about 4–5 regional Fox Sports networks in the last week, and the debut is off to a brilliantly bizarre start. And yeah, it’s the “Bally” from Bally Total Fitness. It doesn’t make sense.
MUST WATCH — sound on:
6. Fernando “Face of MLB” Tatis Jr. reaches into the bag of magic tricks, on day one
7. Awful call of the day: “Wow, that is… half a foot off the plate.”
8. A Yankees fan goes for it and lunges for Aaron Judge’s glove
Here’s his quote after the game:
9. A wild, six-run comeback inning in Seattle, and then a walk-off walk
10. An update from the A.L. favorites: Sanchez quells the doubters, Stanton goes 0–5 and gets booed
11. Pitch of the day: Lucas Giolito
12. If you missed it, Francisco Lindor just inked a 10-year extension for $341 million
Here’s what he had to say yesterday, after the Mets/Nationals series was postponed from COVID issues:
First we had Tatis and the 14-year contract, and now Lindor gets his. Reminds you of that old Rickey Henderson story:
“Sit anywhere you want, you got tenure.”
“Ten years? What are you talking about? Rickey got 16, 17 years.”
13. Defensive highlights of the day: Michael Taylor, Didi Gregorius, Miguel Cabrera
Michael A. Taylor, former Nats’ center fielder, gunned down two runners at the plate in the same game:
And then Miguel Cabrera, about to turn 38 this month — turning back the clock:
14. It’s getting hard to name one player on the Marlins, but they have a guy with blue hair now
This is what the bottom of the Newsletter is all about. The gems. The pointless. The mildly interesting. The blue hair dye on Jazz Chisholm, MLB’s only active player from The Bahamas.
Just need to add a dog bone in there and we’ve got the “Melvin Van Horne” look all set in place.
15. Once again, it’s great to have baseball back
If you’ve made it this far, thanks for reading — and I hope you enjoy the Newsletter all season. Last year, I started the 2020 Astros Shame Tour, it blew up, and this year it was time for something new.
So once again… It’s great to have baseball back.
Here’s the first video on the new Twitter — sound on:
Follow on Twitter: @bbletter